Lately (ok, ever since the Holidays) I have been eating a
shit ton of store bought treats for snacks at work. Power bar after power bar and cookies galore.
It’s a lot easier to just buy already made and packaged snacks at the grocery store to take on the go.
This needs to stop asap.
Remember when I used to bring homemade pumpkin protein bars and vegan scones everywhere?
I need to get back into that habit.
- It’s healthier – you know exactly what is in your food – all natural, nothing processed.
- It’s cheaper – each baking episode yields way more food than buying individual bars at the store.
The problem is that I’m tired of the old recipes I used to make.
Cue new delicious and nutritious blueberry bread! I’m definitely taking this as my afternoon snack this week.
Recipe adapted from The Lemon Bowl.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup splenda or sugar substitute
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
- 3 eggs (use 2 eggs, 1 egg white)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 350°F and grease a bread pan with cooking spray.
Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl: oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, sugar, and wheat germ.
Beat together eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract on medium speed with a mixer. Gently stir in the dry ingredients.
Fold blueberries into the batter and pour into the bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Let the bread cool completely before serving.
Thanks as always to Jenn @ Peas and Crayons for hosting What I Ate Wednesday!
One thought on “Blueberry Bread”
Pingback: Old Fashioned Pecan Bread | Chicken Nugget Girl