You’ll have to forgive me for jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon with this one. But come on, jump on it with me.
These pumpkin bars are my absolute favorite clean eating snack. Not gonna lie, they’re one of the reasons I’m excited it’s getting chilly out. Wrap these up and bring ’em to work or to a fall gathering – they’d even be a healthy hit at Thanksgiving!
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Eason’s LiveFit recipe.
- ½ C brown sugar
- 1 4oz jar of baby food applesauce
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 15oz can of raw pumpkin (sub for pumpkin pie mix for a dessert version)
- 2 C oat flour
- 2 scoops chocolate whey protein
- ½ C almond milk
- ½ C almond slivers
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9 X 13 pan (I used a Pyrex one) with non-stick spray.
- Combine the first 11 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the final ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Makes 24 squares.
Because each square is only around 60 calories, I usually eat two for an afternoon or evening snack in place of a store bought protein bar or Larabar.
These savory bars are especially delicious as a late night snack with a few scoops of vanilla bean ice cream.
What is your favorite pumpkin dish?
Do you have a special baked good you like to make in the fall?
Thanks to Jenn for hosting What I Ate Wednesday!